Our relationship with the Mazda 3 is taking a turn for occasional use in full on bender. We followed our first contact with an enthusiastic, Oh, yes, this is the stuff, concluding that the car was like a strong threat to the state at the top of the category of the Fire. Then we took another look, proving ourselves right and the three kings crown our former champion of small cars, the Ford Focus, and appointing the Mazda to our 10Best list in 2014. Then we proclaimed better than anything else in its segment in five way match up and again assigned a 10Best slot for 2015. Now, we have stocks of Doritos and Klondike bars and are determined to 40,000 miles.
Our last meeting with the three required a lengthy defense of as a small car as it could possibly justify a price of $ 28,385. Satisfied our case, we decided that our new long term 3 should be even more expensive. So we started the same way last test he did, with a 3 s Grand Touring hatchback, base price $ 26,365. That includes larger, more powerful 2.5 liter inline four engine with 184 horsepower and 185 lb ft aluminum wheels 18 inch, and a surprising amount of stuff full scale luxury car: the adaptive headlights, rain wiper sensors, blind spot monitor, a rearview camera, a head up display, and a navigation/ infotainment touch screen that can also be controlled by a knob between the front seats. To this we added the package $ 1,750 Appearance, which exchanges in most sports bands and barbells and adds a spoiler on top of the tailgate. After mats, cargo mat, and a few other treats door installed, we got $ 28,510.
2015 Mazda 3 2.5 L Manual Hatchback Power and engine
As soon as they were the miles of burglary complete our 3 direct to Chicago, cursed land where our long term car were broken into, rear ended, and guided paths predators Lincoln Navigators. This trip was relatively painless, but not entirely. On return, the three stopped playing music from an iPhone connected, even if the phone still showed progressive music. So, the driver switched on the radio that only plays through the speakers on the right side of the machine. At this point, the navigation system stopped giving voice instructions. Rapid cycling ignition solved this problem occurred, but we are concerned that a few lines of code broken hiding somewhere in the maze.
While that incident was a first, the rest of our experience so far has followed the script established by previous meetings. The strong engine pulled the car through the quarter mile in 15.6 seconds at 91 mph on his first outing in the test track, hitting 60 mph in 7.4 seconds on the way. From past experience, we know already fast, communicative steering of Mazda and delicious balance handling offer thrills side over her figure skidpad, but, together with our headquarters in top speed, our skidpad was covered with snow since the arrival 3, and so those tests are yet to be completed. (A previous example of this car pulled 0.84 g, however.) The winter is unlikely to last the duration of our stay of 3, but it seems likely that our infatuation with the little Mazda.
2015 Mazda 3 2.5 L Manual Hatchback Specification
- Vehicle type: front engine, front wheel drive, 5 passenger, 4 door hatchback
- Price As Tested: $ 28,510 (base price: $ 26,365).
- Engine: DOHC 16 valve direct injection inline 4, aluminum block and head,.
- Displacement: 152 cu in, 2488 cc.
- Power: 184 hp @ 5700 rpm.
- Torque 185 lb ft @ 3250 rpm.
TRANSMISSION: 6 speed manual.
- Wheelbase: 106.3 in.
- Length: 175.6 in.
- Width: 70.7 cm Height: 57.3 in.
- Volume of passenger/ cargo: 96.4/ 20.2 cubic feet.
- Curb Weight: 3020 pounds.
- Zero to 60 mph: 7.4 sec.
- Zero to 100 mph: 19.0 sec.
- Zero to 120 mph: 32.8 sec.
- Rolling start, 5 60 mph: 7.5 sec.
- Top Gear, 30 50 mph: 12.1 sec.
- Top Gear, 50 70 mph: 11.4 sec.
- Standing 1/4 mile: 15.6 sec @ 91 mph.
- The maximum speed (east of MFR): 130 mph.
- Braking, 70 0 mph: 165 ft.
- Roadholding, 300 ft dia skidpad
- EPA city/ highway driving: 26/35 mpg.
- C/ D remarked: 28 mpg.
- 3 years/ 36,000 miles bumper to bumper
- 5 years/ 60,000 miles powertrain.
- 5 years/ unlimited miles corrosion protection.